Mushroom soup is a special and healthy treat that originated in ancient Italy and France. Eventually arriving in American, it is considered a favorite dish loaded with vitamins and nutrients.
If we choose to eat it for lunch or dinner, it adds a variety to anyone’s taste buds.
As dog owners we must ask ourselves can dogs eat mushroom soup?
Let’s find out…
Your Dog And Mushroom Soup (Overview)
Mushrooms in and of itself are not poisonous for dogs and therefore you can give your pet mushroom soup but with a few things to keep in mind.
Please keep in mind your dog should be fed mushroom soup rarely observing for any negative reaction.
Soups have high contents of sodium and too much can lead to weight gain in dogs. Similar to humans this is not a positive situation and can lead to serious health issues.
Some puppies may even experience toxic reactions with mushroom soup.
Serving condensed mushroom soup may not be advisable in some situations. The olive oil may require high temperatures to break down, making it uncomfortable for your dog’s digestive system.
Can Dogs Eat Mushroom Broth?
Mushroom broth can be used as a base for casseroles and comfort food. Again, you need to keep in mind is a lot of sodium is present.
As mentioned above, high sodium content can lead to serious health problems long term if you decide to give some to your best friend. Just remember moderation is the key.
Can Dogs Eat Cooked Mushrooms?
If you and I can eat a particular cooked mushroom without any problems of toxicity, then you can feed it to your dog as well.
However, you should add the amount of mushroom little by little to avoid giving your pet an upset stomach and indigestion problems.
Too many mushrooms could cause indigestion for your best friend and that is not what you want. Also, do not feed them separately but add the cooked mushrooms at mealtime.
Stop as soon as you spot a negative reaction like vomiting or diarrhea.
12 Health Benefits That Mushrooms Offer To Your Dog
1) Amino acids and proteins
2) Riboflavin that helps in the production of energy from fats
3) Manganese prevents weak growth, and skeletal system abnormalities
4) Iron that prevents anemia and promotes healthier growth
5) Phosphorus that facilitates canine bone development
6) Selenium that prevents skin problem, arthritis, and heart diseases
7) Vitamin C boosts the dog’s immune system
8) Minerals such as potassium, sodium, copper, and phosphorus
9) Preventing infections from bacteria and viruses
10) Increase the level of blood sugars and enhancing metabolism
11) Improving kidney and liver functions
12) Reducing weight and lowering cholesterol
4 Types Of Mushrooms That Are Safe For Dogs
Loaded with nutritional value, the Shiitake mushroom is originally from East Asia It is rich in copper, iron, selenium, and zinc. The Shiitake can be consumed by both dogs and humans but needs to be fully cooked. Otherwise, it can cause a nasty allergic reaction.
The Maitake is a perennial fungus that will bloom for several years. It offers medicinal properties that will help regulate your dog’s blood sugar, boost immunity, and lower cholesterol. The Maitake can be found in japan and china.
3) Lingzhi (Reishi)
4) White Button
Can Dogs Eat Mushroom Gravy?
Just as we human beings prefer to have their mushrooms cooked, the same applies to dogs. However, they have very sensitive stomachs.
Therefore, when deciding on the right oil to mix, it is important to remember that certain fats can cause diarrhea and vomiting.
Thus, when you give your dog gravy with oils that require high temperature to break down, it may affect how easily they are supposed to be digested and cause stomach upsets.
Unless you are sure of the oil to use, do not feed your dog mushroom gravy. I would suggest you consult with your veterinarian.
Can Dogs Die If They Eat Wild Mushrooms?
Dogs are brilliant and can identify toxins from their scent.
However, they will not differentiate between a good mushroom and a toxic mushroom.
Your pet may be walking around the yard and will notice a growing mushroom. Or, at times, you may be taking your dog for a walk around at the dog park and spots a mushroom. You do not notice it until it’s too late and they have ingested it.
According to reported cases, mushroom poisoning is fatal for pets.
Here are 8 examples of mushroom’s to avoid:
1) Amanita gemmate, also known as the jeweled death cap
2) Amanita phalloides or death cap
3) Gyromitra spp, also known as false morel.
4) Deadly Galenira or Galenira marginata
5) Clitocybe dealbata mushrooms
6) Fool’s funnel
7) Angel’s wings
8) Funeral bell
Unfortunately, you may not be able to differentiate the species unless you are an expert. It is therefore recommended that you treat each case as poisoning. If it is severe, your dog may begin to show some symptoms immediately.
8 Indicators Of Mushroom Poison In Dogs
Each mushroom type has different symptoms. For example, some types will make you think that your dog has recovered.
After some time, it will suffer from kidney failure, liver failure, and finally, death. Others have sedation effects, diarrhea, or vomiting. Some may not be fatal.
Here are 9 signs of mushroom poisoning:
5) Liver failure
7) Abdominal pain
Treatment Of Mushroom Poison In Dogs
You should immediately seek medical help from a qualified veterinarian if you notice any of the symptoms mentioned above. Earlier treatment will definitely avoid increasing complications.
Here are 5 treatment options available:
1) Liver protection medication
2) Charcoal therapy
3) Intravenous therapy fluid treatment
4) Diarrhea and vomiting treatment
5) Extensive veterinary care
5 Tips To Prevent Dogs From Eating Wild Mushrooms
1) Lead your dog when you reach high-risk areas
2) Keep away from damp and wooded areas.
3) Look out for any wild mushrooms around your yard.
4) Use a basket muzzle for your dog if it is the scavenging type.
5) Teach your pet to drop something on command
We all know mushroom soup is not only a comfort food but a delicious and satisfying special treat. Offering it to your best friend in small amounts will cause no harm.
Dogs cannot determine what is safe for them and what is not. For this reason, the responsibility falls entirely on you the owner. Just use common sense and you and your best friend should be fine.